TeenPit is a contest created to showcase teen writing prowess and help teen writers improve their craft! How do you enter? It’s easy:
- Write your best words!
- Send in your best first page, up to 250 words, and a 50 word pitch for your manuscript on April 5th, 2019.
- Finalists will be matched with a professional writing mentor to polish your first chapter!
Here are the rules:
- Teens aged 13-19 on the date of contest start are eligible to participate.
- All teens must have a permission slip signed by their parent or guardian allowing their work to be evaluated in the mentor round. In addition, permission is granted to allow the student’s first name, last initial to be published in relation to their entry. A pen name may also be used for privacy.
- Manuscripts must be at least 15,000 words in length at time of submission window opening to qualify for TeenPit.
- Work must be the teen’s original work. Judges may request teen’s FULL MANUSCRIPT of at least 15,000 words prior to selecting a winner.
- Only one entry per person, please.
- Writers will be chosen to continue on to the mentor round by a team of first round judges. The number of second round entries will be dependent on the availability of mentors. Judges will pair teens with mentors who are familiar with the entry’s genre.
- Mentors will be experienced adult writers familiar with the world of publishing. Some will be published writers, others may be editors, educators, or other uniquely qualified authors. Mentors will work with the finalists on their first chapter up to a maximum of 20 pages!
- Only manuscripts submitted within the submission window on April 5, 2019 will be considered.
- Entries must be middle grade or young adult appropriate. No adult content, please.
- When the submission window opens at 5 PM EST, April 5, 2019 and closes at 5 PM EST, April 6, 2019, entries will be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and will include the following information:
- Teen’s full name and email address
- Age and grade
- Title of the work and current word count
- Genre of the work (ex: Young adult contemporary, Middle grade fantasy)
- Parent’s name and contact email
- 50 word pitch for the manuscript
- First page of the manuscript up to 250 words
Here’s the Schedule:
March 31: Mentor reveal day. Mentors talk about what they would like to mentor in a short bio.
April 5: Submission day! From 5 PM EST until 5 PM EST on April 6th, teens between the ages of 13 and 19 will submit the first page of their manuscripts, up to 250 words and a short (no more than 50 word pitch) about their books. Include name, age, grade, genre, word count, and if the book is complete or a work in progress. We will cap the number of entries at 200. We will notify via Twitter and on this website when we reach capacity.
April 7-10: First round: Judges select top entries (according to number of mentors).
April 10 (5 PM): Finalists and mentor pairings are announced. Mentors will assist mentees with preparing short bios to go up on blog.
April 10-21: Mentors work with mentees on revisions.
April 22: Second round: Resubmit revised pages.
April 22-25: Judges review new pages, and pick the top entries.
April 26: The Reveal! Top three entries are posted up on blog.
Get your pages ready! It’s your turn to shine!