Welcome to the #TeenPit Class of 2017!
Mentee: Angela Wang
Mentor: Lyndsay Ely
Title: ALL THOSE WHO WANDER
Genre: YA Sci-Fi
- When did you start writing? Farther back than I can remember! (Eight? Nine?) My first “novel” was actually a picture book about unicorns, done in gel pen.
- What inspired your #TeenPit project? I don’t think I can put my finger on one thing, actually. I started it so long ago and it’s slowly morphed into what it is today through basically just absorbing a bunch of ideas I get from new things I’m interested in.
- Who is your favorite author? Markus Zusak. His writing is just beautiful.
- What is your favorite book? The Book Thief.
- Is there a piece of advice you’d like to give other teen writers about revising, working with a mentor, entering a contest, etc? Don’t let your age hold you back, and don’t give up! Writing can often mean a lot of rejections, but as long as you keep at it, you’ll keep improving.
Mentee: True Sloan
Mentor: Gracie West
Title: SHE’S A HURRICANE
Genre: YA contemporary
- When did you start writing? I started writing when I was twelve.
- What inspired your #TeenPit project? Two years ago this girl told me a story and I thought she was so strong and I wanted to write about a character like that.
- Who is your favorite author? My favorite author is either Melina Marchetta or Kasie West. I can’t decide!
- What is your favorite book? BY YOUR SIDE by Kasie West (Dax Miller is babe)
- Is there a piece of advice you’d like to give other teen writers about revising, working with a mentor, entering a contest, etc? Be kind and respectful of your mentors time and always thank them for everything they do.